Thursday, March 25, 2010

Brothers karamozov

I have not quite finished the book but im getting close. As I read through book one and two, I start to dislike Fyodor Karamazov. The professor told us to tell why. I dont like how he marries a girl and then has orgies. I dont like how he has children and could care less about all of them. I dont like how after his first wife days he goes out to the streets and celebrates. And I think he was very disrespectful when they went to the monastery. I also find him degrading of women, like they are sex toys or something. I didnt like him from the get go. I dont know if thats what the author wanted you to think of him, thats just my opinion. I think Dmitri is a strong person. He really fights for what he wants....his inherritance and Grushenka. I think Ivan is a great character in the novel. He has certain beliefs but he also listens to what others have to say also. I know that I can relate to Ivan in a way. He has many doubts on God and questions his reasoning for things. I can remeber when I questioned my faith and why God does the things he does. I think everyone has those questions at some point in their lives. Even Alyosha, who is this very religious man, questions Gods reasoning in the novel. I know some people think Alyosha is boring and a "goody toshoe", I think everyone needs those kind of people in your life and the book would be extremely boring without Alyosha. He shows that even in time of trouble and doubt, God is still there. God works in mysterious ways even if its not exactly nice he has a reason for everything, and Alyosha knows that. Zosima states, before he dies, that along with his brother the bible had a great influence on his life. That made me think of the day in class where we talked about books that changed your life. When Zosima dies and his body decays and smells, Alyosha wonders why God would humiliate such a great religious leader like that. Then later he has a dream that Zosima says Alyosha has saved Grunshenka and given her salvation. That kind of things do happen in real life and it just made me think of past incidents that have happened in my life. Its incidents like Ivan says he doesnt inderstand. Why does God let the suffering of children happen. No one knows why except God and he has a plan and purpose for everyone on this planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment